All applicants to the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine must complete an application through AMCAS to be considered for admission to the school. Students are encouraged to submit their application as early as possible. AMCAS applications open in May. The deadline to submit the AMCAS application for admission to VTCSOM is December 1. For more information, and to begin the application process, visit the AMCAS website. MCAT tests are required and should be taken no later than September in the year before anticipated entry.
The decision to send a secondary application invitation to an applicant will reflect the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine's commitment to attracting a diverse body of learners who will likely achieve academic success in the rigorous academic setting of medical school, while experiencing further growth in other important aspects of professionalism. Holistic reviews of each application will be made before making a decision about whether or not to invite a secondary application. Only the most academically qualified applicants who present records indicating that they would benefit most from the innovative medical curriculum at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine will be invited to complete a secondary application. Applicants will be required to submit a $50 non-refundable application fee along with their secondary application.
Students who are invited to submit an online secondary application will be notified by e-mail, and provided a link to access the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine's secondary application.
VTCSOM will be seeking students who are interested in making contributions to greater society through a life-long career of inquiry, including the practice of evidence-based medicine, clinical and basic science research, and scholarship. Applicants who have experience in inquiry, research, scholarship, innovation, or leadership are encouraged to apply.
In addition to a request for additional personal information, our secondary application will include short responses to essay questions designed to explore the candidate’s prior experience in self-directed learning, independent study, research, inquiry, and leadership activities. In particular, the candidate will be encouraged to describe how any of these activities may enhance their contributions to society during a career in health care delivery.
We participate in the AMCAS Letters Service.
If providing traditional letters of recommendation via AMCAS Letters Service, we request four to seven letters with at least one coming from a science or math faculty member. A letter from a professional in a medical field is strongly recommended. A pre-health advisor letter packet and/or committee letter packet may also be provided.
The minimum criteria that constitutes a complete package in order to be considered for an interview at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine includes the following:
When the application is complete (items listed above), the application will again be reviewed and a decision will be made to:
Interviews will take place monthly on the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine campus, in Roanoke, Virginia on several Saturdays throughout the fall and winter months. We typically conduct six interview days between August and February. Interview day activities will include a presentation on the curriculum, an overview and tour of facilities, an orientation to the interview process, and lunch, as well as the actual interviews. All interviewees should plan to be on campus from 8:00 a.m. until approximately 3:00 p.m.
VTCSOM uses a rolling admission process and plans to send out acceptance notifications in late fall and early winter.
Some students not offered an initial acceptance will be notified that they have been placed in our active status pool. After March 30, the active status pool will convert to an unranked wait list. An applicant may remain on the wait list up to student matriculation in August.
Once notified by mail of acceptance, students will have two weeks from the date of their acceptance letter to notify the VTCSOM Admissions Office of their decision. If an applicant accepts the offer of admission, a deposit of $100 will be required at that time. Additionally, each accepted applicant will be advised that matriculation is dependent upon the VTCSOM Terms and Conditions of Acceptance.
1. All acceptances, scholarships and merit awards for the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine are contingent upon satisfactory completion of all course work including the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine premedical requirements. A grade of "C" may require a written explanation. A grade of "D" or below will result in a re-evaluation of the application. The required courses should not be taken pass/fail or credit/no credit.
2. Satisfactory completion of a bachelor's, post-baccalaureate or graduate program.
3. AMCAS does not forward your final transcript. Your official terminal transcript giving all degrees earned from each institution you have attended must be sent to the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine as soon as possible after completion of your academic program and no later than June 1.
4. Satisfactory results of a criminal background check.
5. Satisfactory completion of a drug screen.
6. Your acceptance to the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine may be rescinded if it becomes apparent that any materials submitted are fraudulent or deceptive. In addition, if you are a recipient of any institutional or legal action (e.g. conviction under a University Honor Code or a court proceeding) you must notify the school immediately. Failure to notify may result in withdrawal of the offer or dismissal at any time during your academic program.
Materials necessary to accomplish these tasks will be sent to students holding a place in the class at various intervals before matriculation.
AMCAS applications open
AMCAS applications may be submitted
First set of secondary application invitations sent
First round of interviews
Deadline to file AMCAS applications
Deadline for secondary application submissions
By AMCAS regulations, Virginia Tech Carilion issues 42 acceptances
By AMCAS regulations, applicants may hold only one acceptance
Matriculation and orientation